Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Topic for a thesis...what topic?

As I recall my thesis, I realized that I was able to finish my thesis!! It was indeed an achievement for me! whew!

Will share some tips on how to choose a topic for your thesis. This is based on my experience in the Graduate School of the University of Santo Tomas. I was enrolled for Thesis 1 during the 1st semester of SY 2007-2008 then continued the Thesis 2 and 3 in the second semester.

1) Before enrolling to TW1 or Thesis 1, think possible topics that you are willing to deal with for 1 year or more. I mean, you will be researching on that topic for months, so better yet, choose a topic that really interests you.

2) Talk to your mentors. As for me, I discussed my "possible" topic to one of my professors in the Graduate School. Asked for his inputs, ideas, advices and opinions. Or just speak with someone whom you trust and ask for their opinions if the topic of your choice is feasible and interesting.

3) In UST, the Research Director will ask you to submit 10-20 journals (if I remember it correctly) related to your topic and that will be the basis if the topic of your choice will be approved.

4) While waiting for the approval, spend time in the Central Library and research for resources - books, articles, cases, etc. Search the EBSCO database.

During the Thesis 1 class, our professor told us to choose a topic that will not just collect dust on the shelves of the Central Library! Actually that is true! That made me think that I chose the right topic.

I chose the Homestay Bed and Breakfast as my topic because before I enrol for TW1 and while in search of a topic, I was able to meet the President of a NGO and one of their projects is Homestay Bed and Breakfast. It caught my attention and interest because the first thing that popped up in my mind is that, cheaper rates of room accommodation? Hmmm..that's great. Will explain further on this next time because there are so many definitions of homestay, bed and breakfast, and homestay bed and breakfast.